June 13, 2011

I beg to differ, for the first time

I know how dangerous it is to disagree with reviewers and especially headline writers - as they're sometimes all we have.  But, they're all we have and I don't think they saw the same show I performed in...
So here's my first ever review of the review for "Swimming in the Shallows".  There's a link below to read the review as written but first a few comments:

"InnerMission's Swimming in the Shallows drowns in its own ingratiating humor"

Harsh.  Much more harsh than the review.  Do keep reading.

"...but during one’s experience of the play, deeper thoughts do not occur: We are, after all, swimming in the shallows with five ridiculously fraught humans"
Actually, I believe the play is about the beginning, middle and end of relationships and how consumerism is ruining relationships.  So, if new love, marriage, divorce and paring down ones possessions are shallow - guilty!

"...perhaps because the characters’ problems are so common and trivial and their neuroses so mild."
See my comments above.

"Nonetheless, the vigor and attractive nature of artistic director Carla Nell’s acting company is laudable."
Thank you for the laudanum.

"Barb has a garage sale and lightens her load further by getting rid of her clueless husband, Bob (Kevin Six)."
This is the best piece of writing in the whole review.
Read the whole thing here