February 17, 2010

It's Official

Lawyers have found me to participate in a class action suit against several television production companies regarding age discrimination.  The suit alleges that most TV studios and producers discriminated on writers over 40.  They sent me a letter, ostensibly, because I am a writer who is over 40.

A writer. 

I did not, to my knowledge, submit anything to a television studio in the five years that qualify me as what the television studios and some agencies think is too old to write.  So I won't be participating.  But a law firm in Washington DC thinks I fit the bill enough to send me a letter.
Of course there are two classes of claimants: 1) Television writers over 40; and 2) Writers over 40 who want to write for television.  That's me!  But how did they find me?
My guess is that they saw me play Milt Fields in Laughter on the 23rd Floor.  That or they knew that I live within 200 miles of Hollywood and that means I have a screenplay.  Or, they read my last play - OK my only play - produced and thought that it was a better TV script.

Either way, I'm a writer!  It's official.  I'm not participating in the suit but I feel better submitting to all those TV studios as "Kevin Six, over 40 so WATCH IT, SUCKERS!"

Kevin Six